The Film world is stunned with the sudden demise of the veteran actor Irrfan Khan. He was one of most beloved stars not only Bollywood but in the west as well.
The talented bucket of acting brings alive any character that he plays on screen with his powerful expressions and amazing body language. There is much more to explore about the actor. Here are some lesser known facts about Irrfan Khan.
Irrfan’s real name is Sahabzade Irfan Ali Khan. He was born to a Muslim Pathan family on 7th January 1967 in Jaipur, Rajasthan. His father was the late Jagirdar Khan from village Khajuria near the Tonk district while his mother, Begum Khan belonged to the Tonk hakim family. He has two siblings and his father wanted his son to join the family tyre business.
Irrfan Khan got married to writer and fellow NSD student Sutapa Sikdar on February 23rd 1995. He has two sons, Babil and Ayan.
Irrfan Khan: Education, Dreams, First Job….
1. He wanted to be a cricketer but he became an actor by chance.
2. He has a Diploma in Dramatic Arts and got a scholarship to attend NSD (National School of Drama) in 1984.
3. Irrfan Khan was a final year student at NSD (1988) when he was chosen by Mira Nair for a role in Salaam Bombay.
4. First job in Mumbai as an air condition repair man. It is even said that one of the first houses he visited for repairing services was that of the legend Rajesh Khanna.
5. During his past life Irrfan was so bored that he thought of quitting a TV regular from 1994 to 1998.
6. Irrfan himself added an extra ‘R’ to his name, hence the name IRRFAN.
7. Irrfan is one of the tallest actors in Bollywood with 6 feet, 1 inch height.
8. His movie LunchBox is the only Indian movie to have ever won a TFCA (Toronto Film Critics Association Award), and also won Critics Week Viewers Choice Award at the Cannes Film Festival.
9. On asked to stay in the USA for four months at a stretch he refused a big role in Interstellar.
10. He wished to gift his mother a suitcase full of money.
11. Once after the success of Slumdog Millionaire, Julia Roberts stopped outside the Kodak Theater (where the Oscars were being staged) to compliment Irrfan on the same.
12. He reads a LOT and stays up till 3 am to read through at least one new Hollywood script a week.
13. He has been detained twice at Los Angeles Airport because his name is similar to a terror suspect.
14. He landed his first role as a lead actor in a commercial movie for Rog in the year 2005.
15. Refused a movie to Christopher Nolan in 2014
16. Irrfan Khan is the first Bollywood actor in two Academy Award winning movie, Slumdog Millionare (2008) and Life of Pie (2012).
Irrfan Khan: Awards Won
17. National Film Award for the best actor in the 60th National Film Awards 2012 and a Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor for his role in the movie Paan Singh Tomar.
18. In 2014, Irrfan Khan won the Asian Film Award for Best Actor.
19. He has won three International Indian Film Academy Awards, three Filmfare Awards and an Independent Spirit Award nomination.
20. Irrfan Khan won the Filmfare Award for Best Actor for the movie Hindi Medium in 2017.
21. In the year 2011, Irrfan Khan received the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian honor in India, for his contribution to the field of arts.
22. The Rajasthan government named him the brand ambassador of “Resurgent Rajasthan” campaign in September 2015