Harlan Coben is an American writer was born on January 4, 1962 into a Jewish family in Newark, New Jersey. He was raised in Livingston, where he graduated from Livingston High School, with his childhood friend and future politician Chris Christie.
While studying political science at Amherst College, along with the writer Dan Brown he joined Psi Upsilon fraternity. He is best known for his mystery novels and thrillers. He now resides in Ridgewood, New Jersey with his wife and four children. Read some unknown facts about the talented writer which are still to be explored.
Unknown facts about Harlan Coben
1. During his college time Harlan Coben played as a forward in his college basketball team. He is pretty long with 193 cm or 6foot 4.
2. Harlan Coben after studying political science at Amherst, worked in the travel industry, in a company owned by his grandfather.
3. Play Dead is the first novel by Coben. The book was published in 1990 when he was 26. It is a romantic suspense with an immature plot.
4. Harlan Coben was scheduled for a reading of his first book Play Dead. Unfortunately only two people came to it and also they weren’t there to listen to Harlan Coben, but for another author.
5. Coben is the first writer to receive the Big Three – Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award for literature is Harlan Coben. These prestigious recognitions were given for three books of his famous Drop Shot, Myron Bolitar series Fade Away and Deal Breaker.
6. The author of The Stranger Harlan Coben usually starts writing a new book around January and finishes it in October. Strangely the writer rarely keeps notes, just save all the plot turns and characters in his head.
7. When Bill Clinton was recovering from quadruple-bypass surgery in 2004 he was photographed with a copy of Harlan Coben’s No Second Chance.
8. The Stranger is the 27th book by Harlan Coben.
9. Harlan Coben is a celebrated name in American contemporary fiction.
10. His last seven novels consecutively stood no. 1 on New York Times bestselling list.
11. Currently his two books, a medical thriller, Miracle Cure and his first book Play Dead are out of print as Coben has taken the copyrights back.