Pankaj Tripathi’s journey is a perfect example of why one should never give up on their dreams.
Pankaj Tripathi is an Indian actor who was born on 5th September 1976, to Pandit Banaras Tripathi and Hemwanti Devi in Belsand, a village in Gopalganj District Bihar. He was born as the youngest of their four children. His father works as a farmer and priest.
After high school he moved to Patna to study in Institute of Hotel Management, Hajipur. There he did theatre and during college days Pankaj was active in college politics as a member of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad. After spending seven long years in Patna, he moved to Delhi to get enrolled in the National School of Drama, from where he was graduated in 2004. After graduating from the National School of Drama, Tripathi moved to Mumbai in 2004, and started his film career with the movie “Run”.
Tripathi got married to Mridula on 15 January 2004 and they are blessed with a daughter. It’s quite difficult for outsiders and not belong to a family that is connected with the film industry, to make an entry in Bollywood. If you are not born with a silver spoon in your mouth, it’s difficult to survive in film industry. But Pankaj is known for his excellence in acting and masters in playing every role given to him with perfection. Pankaj Tripathi has worked in more than 40 films and 60 television shows. There is something more to explore about the veteran star.
Here’s some unknown facts about the man with innumerable stellar performances Pankaj Tripathi.
Lesser-known facts about Pankaj Tripathi
1. As a kid and until Class 5th, Pankaj used to study under a tree as there was no school infrastructure, which he considered as studying under the roof of Nature. At that time, his Village didn’t even have the Electricity Facility.
2. Tripathi helped his father in his fields until he was in the 11th standard at school.
3. In the village’s natak he used to play the role of a girl.
4. Although he was fond of acting, out of fear of failure in acting he worked briefly in Maurya Hotel, Patna.
5. Pankaj Tripathi’s first film as a lead actor was the 2017 film Gurgaon.
6. In 2012, he was widely acclaimed for his role in Gangs of Wasseypur. He has to face an eight hours long audition for the film.
7. His 2017 film Newton was India’s official entry for the Academy Award in the best foreign film category.
8. Pankaj Tripathi made his Tamil cinema debut with the film Kaala, which was released on 7 June 2018.
9. Every day Pankaj Tripathi would sleep near the tubewell of his field to save Rs. 500. Since thieves could steal it easily. To save that Rs 500, he and his father would have dinner early and reach the farm by 8 pm.
10. His father wanted him to become a doctor.
11. During his college time, as an active member he was part of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad and during 1993 he was jailed to raise voice against the state government.
12. Laxam Narayan Rai’s play, Andha Kuan came as a turning point in his life
13. He was rejected by National School of Drama twice.
14. In his struggling face he used to perform in plays to earn money.
15. Pankaj Tripathi moved to Mumbai after several calls from his friend Bhanu Uday.
16. He reached the city of dreams, Mumbai with Rs 46,000 in his hand and his wife started teaching in school.
17. During his early struggle in the Bollywood industry, he became synonymous with gangster characters, as he used to mostly play negative roles.
18. Some old work never gets off the mind and ‘Masaan’ remains his favorite movie as an actor till date.
19. He is proud to be a Bihari.