Kajol was born to actress Tanuja and film director Shomu Mukherjee on 5 August 1974. She is a granddaughter of Shobhna Samarth and great granddaughter of Rattan Bai.
The actress is related to legendary actor, Kishore Kumar. Her paternal grandmother was the sister of the Ganguly brothers- Ashok, Anoop, and Kishore. Her sister Tanisha Mukherjee is also an actress. She is the niece of legendary actress, Nutan.
Monish Bahl, Rani Mukerji and Ayan Mukerji are her cousins. Since 1999 she is the wife of actor Ajay Devgn and has two children Nysa and Yug.
Kajol never failed to surprise us and brought her natural charm to the big screen with her performances. Likewise there is much more to explore her. So here are some lesser known facts about the Queen of Bollywood Kajol.
Kajol: Lesser Known Facts About Queen Of Bollywood
- At the age of 16 Kajol made her acting debut with ‘Bekhudi’ (1992) while still in school.
2. She has received six Filmfare Awards.
3. In 2011, she was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India.
4. Kajol did a Tamil film ‘Minsaara Kannavu’ opposite Prabhu Deva and Arvind Swamy. However, it was really difficult for the actress to dance along with Prabhu Deva.
5. Kajol was among one of the four Bollywood stars namely, Priyanka Chopra, Hrithik Roshan and Shahrukh Khan, to get her miniature doll in Harrods Knightsbridge, London. These are collectively called the ‘Bollywood Legends’.
6. The actress considers her role in ‘Gupt’ as the toughest role till date as she had to play a mean character.
7. She became the first actress to win a Filmfare for a negative role.
8. Kajol and Karan Johar are BFFs. Karan considered her as his lucky mascot. If Kajol did not act in his films, she appeared in cameo roles.
9. Indian audiences also disliked Kajol’s photo shoot with Rekha for a magazine wearing only a sweater.
10. Kajol is involved with an NGO Shiksha, that works in the field of children’s education.
11. She is also an international goodwill ambassador and patron of The Loomba Trust, a non-profit organisation that supports widows and their children around the world.
12. Not only this, in 2012 the actress was appointed as the brand ambassador of Pratham, a charity organisation for children. Kajol apart from being a wonderful actress is a wonderful person as well and devotes her free time for a lot social work. She is involved with the Shiksha foundation.
13. Kajol is a devotee of Lord Shiva and always wears an OM diamond studded ring.
14. Kajol loves to write poems and sci-fi in her free time and even loves to read books.
15. Surprisingly Kajol doesn’t like 99 out of 100 people.
16. According to some reports she was the original choice for the role of Rani Mukherjee in Baabul.
17. She cannot cook, can’t even make tea. Kajol says that when her kids grow up, they will never remember their maa ki haath ka khana and she is worried about it.
18. In 2008, she received the Karmaveer Puraskaar for her activist work.