On November 6, 1985, Bollywood lost a legendary actor Sanjeev Kumar in a massive heart attack. He was under the list of greatest actors of the Indian Cinema who contributed his outstanding acting skills in the 60s and 70s.
On his death anniversary of legendary actor Sanjeev Kumar, we remember him with some interesting facts that all might not know
He was born as ‘Harihar Jethalal Jariwala’ on 9 July 1938 in Surat, Bombay Presidency, British India.
2. He went to Indian People’s Theatre Association in Mumbai to start his acting career as a theatre actor.
3. He also worked with the Indian National Theatre. Writer- director P. D Shenoy was his mentor.
4. Kumar was born with a congenital heart condition and many of his family members had not lived past the age of 50.
5. He was given the popular name ‘Sanjeev Kumar’ by Sawan Kumar Tak.
6. The versatile actor failed a screen test conducted for a Rajshri film.
7. He has done regional films in many different languages including Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Sindhi and his mother tongue Gujarati.
8. Sanjeev Kumar won the National Film Award for Best Actor in 1971 and was also nominated for Best Actor, Filmfare Award in 1983.
9. He won the Best Actor Filmfare Award in 1977.
10. He won BFJA Best Actor 1974.
11. The actor was awarded with Shanoo Varun Trophy in 1969.
12. He got Cinegoers Council (Delhi) film Awards in 1975.
13. Sanjeev Kumar never got married.
14. Sanjeev Kumar was comfortable with playing small roles or playing older roles.
15. Over ten films starring Sanjeev were released after his death, the last one being Professor Ki Padosan which released in 1993.