Lesser Known Facts About Sonu Nigam That Most People Are Not Aware Of
Sonu Nigam Facts
Sonu Nigam is an Indian singer and composer who was born on 30th July 1973 in Faridabad to Agam Kumar Nigam and Shobha Nigam. He is one of the best Bollywood singers of all time. He can sing in many Indian languages like Hindi, Kannada, English, Bengali, Odia, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Nepali, Maithili and Malayalam.
His sister Teesha Nigam is also a professional singer. He started his singing career by accompanying his father as singing appearances at weddings and parties. His bollywood singing career began at the age of 18, when he moved to Mumbai with his father. He was trained by Hindustani classical singer Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan. He married actress Madhurima Mishra who is 15 years younger to him on 15 February 2002. They are blessed with a son, Nevaan. Let’s list some of the lesser known facts about the live legend Sonu nigam.
Facts you didn’t know about Sonu Nigam
1. At the age of three, Sonu Nigam performed for the first time on stage. He sang his first song Kya Hua Tera Wada with his father at a live show.
2. He is regarded as the “Lord of Chords”.
3. RD Burman had considered Sonu Nigam to sing Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh from 1942 Love Story.
4. In 1999 Sonu won his first Filmfare awards for the track Ishq Bina in Taal composed by AR Rahman. He won his first National Film Award as Best Male Playback Singer for the title track of Kal Ho Naa Ho.
5. The singer followed numerology beliefs and changed his name to Sonu Niigaam, but later decided to go back to his birth name.
6. Sonu’s debut as a child actor in 1983 film Betaab. As an adult, he made his acting debut with 2004’s movie Love in Nepal in a lead role opposite Juhi Babbar.
7. In 2006, Sonu had a show to himself on Radio City 91.1 FM titled Life Ki Dhun with Sonu Nigam, where he interviewed musicians, including Lata Mangeshkar.
8. He tasted failure at the early stage in his career but it was the musical show ‘Sa Re Ga Pa’, which brought him into the limelight.
9. In the year 1995, Gulshan Kumar gave an opportunity to Sonu to lend his voice for Bewafa Sanam’s ‘Acha Sila Diya Tune’ which made him a household name in India.
10. Sonu Nigam has done a Hindi voice over for animated films in Hollywood such as Aladdin and Rio.
11. He also sang for the Hindi version of Aladdin, which was aired on Disney Channel India.
12. In February 2013 Sonu was assigned to lead his voice in a Hindi dubbed version of a Japanese animated film, The Mystical Laws.
13. Sonu Nigam as a solo composer composed the title track of the film Singh Saab The Great. He has also composed the music of films like Sooper Se Ooper and Jal.
14. Sonu was reported to be working on an English album called Spirit Unfolding and on a project called Time Travel, where his voice will be aligned with recordings of other singers in Hindi songs.
15. In collaboration with Jay Sean, he has also sung a song produced by famous international music producer David Guetta. He also collaborated with Britney Spears on a remix of her I Wanna Go track.